What is PRP/PRF
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP)/Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) offers a natural treatment approach that involves obtaining a sample of your own blood and utilizing a centrifugation process to isolate and concentrate your platelets. These platelets, responsible for clotting, are rich in growth factors such as platelet-derived growth factors (PDGFs) and TGF-beta, which play crucial roles in tissue repair and regeneration. When applied to the skin or scalp, the concentrated growth factors in PRP can stimulate collagen production, boost blood circulation, and foster cellular turnover. As a result, this process can lead to noticeable improvements in skin texture, tone, and the growth of new hair follicles.
What makes us different IN Calgary
There are many different centrifuge systems and methods of extracting platelets. Not all of these systems give you high enough concentration of platelets, and not all will give you accurate, reproducible samples. The centrifuge and extraction process used at Action has been tested against other systems and found to consistently provide a higher quality product, to guarantee that we are delivering the best product for the best outcomes. When it comes to PRP, it is the concentration that makes the difference in treatment results.
Cosmetically, PRP/PRF can be used for the following purposes
- Facial rejuvenation:
- Reduces fine lines/wrinkles
- Improves uneven skin texture
- Improves skin elasticity (tightening effect)
- Enhances the overall tone and quality of the skin
- Scar reduction:
- Minimize the visibility of acne scars, surgical scars, and stretch marks
- Hair Restoration
- Activates dormant hair follicles
- Strengthens existing hair
- Encourages new hair growth
Skin healing and repair: PRP plays a crucial role in expediting the healing process after various cosmetic treatments, including laser resurfacing, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion. Through accelerating tissue repair, PRP can help reduce downtime and supports skin healing and recovery.
PRP can be applied with a microneedling device in a specialized cosmetic procedure known as "PRP microneedling" or "vampire facial." This combination treatment harnesses the rejuvenating properties of both PRP and microneedling to enhance skin texture, promote collagen production, and improve overall skin quality.
The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- PRP Preparation: First, a small amount of the patient's blood is drawn, usually from the arm, similar to a routine blood test. The blood is then placed in a centrifuge, a machine that spins the blood to separate its components. This process isolates the platelet-rich plasma, which contains a concentrated amount of growth factors and healing agents.
- Microneedling: While the PRP is being prepared, the microneedling device is prepared and calibrated for the treatment. The microneedling pen or dermaroller is equipped with fine, sterile needles, and it is passed over the targeted area of the skin. A topical numbing cream is applied to the face and is left on for about 30 mins prior to the PRP application.
- PRP Application: Once the PRP is ready, it is applied topically to the treated area or directly onto the skin as the microneedling procedure progresses. The microneedling device creates tiny microchannels in the skin, allowing the PRP to penetrate deeply into the dermal layer, where it can have the most significant impact.
- Synergy of PRP and Microneedling: The combination of microneedling and PRP works synergistically to stimulate the skin's natural healing response. The micro-injuries caused by the microneedling trigger collagen and elastin production, while the growth factors in the PRP further enhance the rejuvenation process.
- Recovery and Results: After the procedure, the skin may appear slightly red and swollen, but this typically subsides within a few days. Over the following weeks, collagen production increases, leading to gradual improvements in skin texture, tone, and firmness. Many patients experience reduced fine lines, diminished acne scars, and an overall more youthful appearance.
PRP microneedling is considered a safe and minimally invasive procedure. The use of the patient's own blood for PRP reduces the risk of allergic reactions or adverse effects. However, as with any cosmetic procedure, it is essential to consult with a qualified healthcare professional or dermatologist to determine if this treatment is suitable for your specific skin concerns and needs.
Visible results may become apparent within the initial weeks following the first injection. However, to achieve optimal outcomes in terms of both quality and longevity, your medical practitioner will recommend a personalized protocol consisting of multiple sessions. The frequency and spacing between these sessions will be determined based on a thorough analysis of your skin condition, the treated areas, your lifestyle, and habits. Additionally, since the process harnesses your body's own platelets and regenerative capabilities (autologous), there will naturally be variations in the results experienced by different individuals. If you wish to obtain a more precise estimate regarding the number of required treatments, feel free to consult your medical practitioner for a detailed assessment. As with any medical procedure, it's essential to note that there are no guarantees of specific outcomes.
Procedure time: 40-60 mins
Anesthesia: Topical numbing cream applied to face for ~30 mins
Pain Level: Mild
Recovery Time: 2-3 days
Results: May be noticeable within the initial weeks following. Most noticeable results seen after multiple treatment (2-3), spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
Treatment Effects: Optimal results are achieved through multiple treatments and ongoing maintenance over a period of 9-12 months.
Copyright Action Health 2021